Plant Pathology research under the direction of Srdjan Acimovic
- Plant disease diagnostics
- Fungicide and bactericide efficacy trials in the field and in vitro
- Evaluation of classic and novel management options for post-harvest apple pathogens
- Development of new strategies and programs for plant disease management
- Survival, physiology, and population dynamics of fire blight bacterium Erwinia amylovora under stress conditions and during overwintering
- Plant defense responses (gene expression and defense compound accumulation)
- Population structure and fungicide resistance of fungal apple pathogens
- Acimovic Lab Extension Blog provides outreach by timely disseminating disease management information in fruit tree and grapevine diseases
- Extension outreach presentations (Link)
- Efficacy trials – test and compare efficacy of novel and established fungicides and bactericides in managing tree fruit diseases (Link)
- Facebook page for delivering both extension and research activities to the wider public
Entomology research under the direction of Peter Jentsch
- Extension blog outreach disseminating timely insect pest management information in fruit and vegetable. (Link)
- Extension outreach presentations. (Link)
- Yearly scouting observations and historical weather data (Link)
- Test and compare novel insecticide tools to determine their effectiveness in managing the tree fruit pest complex . (Link)
- Use video field reporting as an effective extension outreach tool for producers to use in pest management decision making. (Link)
- Stink bug management on apple and pear in NY State. (pdf)
- Study organic pest management for Hudson Valley apple production (pdf).
- Develop organic pest management protocols for Hudson Valley pear production. (pdf)
- Hudson Valley grape berry moth management using reduced risk insecticide programs.
Horticulture Under Dana Acimovic
(Horticulturalist / Viticulturalist)
- Developing and testing cultural practices in orchard management systems for improving fruit yield and quality.
- Field testing apple and grape varieties and rootstocks in the Hudson Valley.
- Improving fruit quality through cultural practices.
- Using growth regulators to improve yield, fruit quality, to encourage return bloom and manage tree vigor.
- Optimize nutritional applications for improved fruit quality and yield.
- Evaluating management strategies of sunburn on Honeycrisp.
- Vineyard Recommendations of Hudson Valley Wine Grape Site Selection
Plant Pathology research under the direction of Dr. Rosenberger (Emeritus Professor; Retired)
- Extension blogs on fungicides and new spray-timing strategies for controlling fungal diseases on apples and pears
- Extension blogs on the interactions between fungicides and pathogen biology that will enable more efficient control flyspeck and sooty blotch diseases on apples
- Extension blogs on better methods for controlling spread of fire blight during summer; prevent apple decays that develop after harvest by optimizing our understanding of sanitation, fungicides and pathogen biology and the impact of tomato ringspot virus and X-disease on decline and mortality of stone fruit trees grown on new rootstocks.
More detailed information is available in pdf reports:
Summary of Research and Extension Activities for 2013 – 2015